Who Should Attend
What you will gain from the Symposium
- Be exposed to new and innovating ideas and ways of thinking
- Network with your peers and leaders in their fields
- Be inspired
- by an optimistic, action orientated group of people
- by profound and positive speakers
- Learn key skills needed for ensuring the future
- Learn how to make a positive difference
The 9th Australian Rural & Remote Mental Health Symposium is an initiative of The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association, a ‘not-for-profit’ organisation.
The 2016 symposium wrapped up with a moving speech by Susan Moylan-Coombs the Founder and Director of The Gaimaragal Group. Susan spoke about The Lurking Variable and what we can learn from the oldest surviving living culture on the planet. She talked about the philosophies and teaching of Australia’s First Peoples and the connection and wellbeing for all Australians – in particular the link between mind, body and soul.
Susan’s presentation was preceded by Scientia Professor Helen Christensen discussing suicide prevention and David Butt CEO of the National Rural Health Alliance. Delegates at the conference were also involved in the consultation process of the Fifth National Mental Health Plan with a presentation by David McGrath and Q&A opportunity.
The symposium involved three days of workshops, feature speakers, panels and session presentations. Feedback by delegates was extremely positive regarding presentations and speakers, especially our Keynotes which also included Dr Vahid Saberi, CEO North Coast Primary Health Network; Professor Nickolai Titov from the MindSpot Clinic; Professor Jane Farmer from Swinburne University; Alison Fairleigh Area Manager, Mental Illness Fellowship; and Associate Professor Philip Ward, University of NSW.
Delegates had beautiful warm weather and relaxed surroundings at the Mantra on Salt at Kingscliff, very conducive to positive networking. The Symposium Advisory Committee is looking forward to seeing everyone again in 2017.
The Program Committee would like to thank the featured speakers:
- Mr David Butt, Chief Executive Officer, National Rural Health Alliance, (Immediate past Chief Executive of the National Mental Health Commission)
- Scientia Professor Helen Christensen, Director & Chief Scientist, Black Dog Institute, Chair, Centre of Research Excellence in Suicide Prevention
- Professor Jane Farmer, Research Professor of Health & Social Innovation, Deputy Director, Centre for Social Impact, Swinburne University, Melbourne
- Ms Alison Fairleigh, Area Manager, Mental Illness Fellowship NQ Inc
- Mr David McGrath, Principal, David McGrath Consulting
- Ms Susan Moylan-Coombs, Founder and Director, The Gaimaragal Group
- Dr Vahid Saberi, Chief Executive Officer; North Coast PHN, Adjunct Professor, School of Health & Human Science, Southern Cross University, Senior Research Fellow, Sydney University
- Professor Nick Titov, Professorial Fellow, Project Director, MindSpot Clinic, Macquarie University
- Associate Professor Philip Ward, Associate Professor, School of Psychiatry, University of NSW
Sponsors & Exhibitors 2016